Re: Woody's "Sheroes"...8 female artists

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 14:49:58 PDT

> Now I am challenging Woody to post one or two sentences on why he
> selected each of those women.

Judy,
        I choose them first because women are easily neglected in the
study of art history, even by a sensitive guy like me. When I choose
a reproduction the reinforce let's say, a design concept: it most likely
will end up being the work of a male artist. So, I stack the deck before
I start. Also, this sneaks in eight more artists to expose my students to.
        Why these eight ? In part to provide diversity.
Diversity of ethnicity.
Diversity of cultures.
Diversity of media and styles.
I serve a diverse population and I'd like my artists to reflect that diversity.

Judy Decker wrote:

> O'Keeffe
        Because she is my favorite, and of course because of New Mexico.
> Cassatt
        Because of her courage to leave her own country and pursue the
        dream of becoming an artist.
> Kollwitz
        She shows that not all artists paint pretty pictures and to show
        that art can be a powerful weapon to educate.
> Bourke-White
        To demonstrate that art takes many forms and that by pursuing
        your interests it can literally take you around the world.
> Maya Lin
        To show that all famous artists are not dead and that even at a
        young age you can make your ideas be recognized.
> Martinez
        To make a connection to our mother earth and to show the power
        of collaboration (with her husband) also to demonstrate the
        rediscovery of ones culture.
> Ringgold
        To show how artistic talent can blossom in the inner city and how
        an artists can take the stories in their own lives and heads and
        create art.
> Kahlo
        To show how childhood tragedy and pain can become a major
        factor in an artists expression.

        I could go on and on about each of these ladies, and I do in class.
But I think the few comments I listed above will do. I just put up a
display about these artists in my classroom this morning. I was able
to use back issues of Scholastic Arts (Art & Man) for all but Maya Lin.

                                                        Woody in KC

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com