Mola ideas and Dreamtime for Secondary

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 11:40:30 PDT

Congrats Vivian on you newly obtained "material wealth" (Molas of the
Kuna Indians)! What a fantastic custodian you have!

I have many links to molas on my site:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/diversit.htm
The easiest lesson for little kids to do is to do cut paper using
traditional appliqué rather than the reverse appliqué.

High school kids could more easily do the reverse appliqué with cut
paper. Students could depict their personal "animal symbol" or depict
an event from their life. Might be even kind of neat to develope a 3-D
layered effect-- leave some space between the layers using foam core
board? -- like a shadow box?

It might be nice to try this idea with technology -- have the students
draw the animal or figures on the computer --then develop the design
with copy - paste -scaling the image larger on the first layers to
create the radiating lines around it. I can see some interesting
symmetrical designs then created using the flip features -- even some
radial designs... possibilities are endless (but..of course yu know
more about how to do all of that stuff than I do).

I would be interested too in seeing lesson plans folks have used with
secondary students.

Dreamtime:

I have links on my site:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/austral.htm

Have the student learn about Aboriginal Dreamtime - but don't have
them copy the symbols of the Aboriginal people. They view this as
disrespectful. Have students design symbols to represent different
events in their life (sort of like a pictorial "timeline"). Use the
Aboriginal dot technique then to put these ideas down on canvas
board/masonite. You could use a face cast to represent them
today--where they are now in their personal journey-- Or to represent
where they want to be.

I can see some interesting ideas fro jewelry coming in too - based on
their personal symbols. I would get bunches of those lttle squeeze
bottles of acrylic paint (from craft stores).

Here is an artist who uses the dot technique in his work:
http://www.rogest.com/gallery.htm
I would like to see how other secondary art teachers have used
Aboriginal art in their curriculum.

Hope this helps, Vivian

Fabulous Friday!

Judy Decker

P.S. for Vivian.. Shoot! I donated my CD-ROM of "Moorditj: Aborigianl
Art" to ArtSpace.... I will see if I can sign it out and send your
way. EXCELLENT for high school students - especially the drama
sections that show how the Aboriginal people feel about what happened
to their culture and people. Let me know closer to time you will be
needing it (I know you will be off to Japan soon).

---