Re: Designing course content

---------

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 11:04:48 PDT

on 8/10/01 7:31 AM, Robert Teslow at rteslow@blakeschool.org wrote:

> I would like your assistance in developing context and units of study for
> an introductory printmaking class that emphasizes screen printing
> techniques.

> Robert Teslow

Robert - Just off the top of my head, I would start with lots of examples.
If students aren't familiar with printmaking, it is hard for them to
concieve of the vast # of options available. Showing the variety of effects
and approaches available with various techniques should open things up.

How are you fixed for equipment? If you have a simple press or even some
decent barrens, then I'd start with some easy relief techniques like linocut
or woodcut. This will provide a contrast & some context for the
seriography.

Finally, I wouldn't jump right into photo screens. They are way cool & very
flexible as a medium, but the discipline & precision demanded by cut stencil
or tusche screens will benefit them in terms of using the media. Definitely
a great way to start w/ color registry, as well.

BTW, thanks for getting in contact as you passed through the Seedskeedee
country last month. We hired an excellent teacher from Lansing, Mich.,
Shannon Bonner, so at last we can plan for the coming year. How was the
fishin'?

Dennis from Wyo.

---