Special Needs Children

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 09:20:21 PDT

Bless you Christina and Sara!

Teachers who work with special needs children are very special indeed!
I have no "real training" but have substituted in multi-handicapped
(that's what they were called at the time) classrooms. The most
important thing is to talk to the children -- get to know them--get
them to trust you...and the rest will be SO much easier. We can learn
a lot from them. And we can learn to be thankful!

I would recommend talking with a professor of a nearby university (if
possible). I just filled out a survey for one at a college (for
research he was conducting).... I could tell he would welcome any
questions I might have. I will call on him if and when I get a child
in my room with special needs.

Melissa Enderle has done research on Assistive Devices...I checked my
bookmark and the URL no longer works. Maybe she can post the site
again.

Thanks Sara for posting--- I saved your suggestions to file...you
never know when something will come in handy.

Fabulous Friday already!

Judy Decker

---