Heroes and "Sheroes" -- add your own

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 12:57:59 PDT

Many of you have posted you are going to introduce an artist a week...
I would be interested in what artists you are going to use and WHY.

I am collecting artists as heroes (sheroes, too). Thanks to the recent
post, I now have a photograph of Mary Cassatt (from the
www.Biography.com site). What I am including on my posters are a
photograph and favorite work (one I admire). A quote and then one or
two sentences why I admire that person's character - along with very
brief biography. This is one way I can get values/character ed into my
curriculum (safely....smile).

Please help me create a list. This thread was discussed before
(1999 -- but those files are no longer in the archives - I only found
one remaining post). Include with your post WHY you admire that artist
(cuts down on my research---smile). You do not need to find a quote--
I have many artists quotes.

Here are a few examples:

Maryy Cassatt
Quote: I am independent! I can live alone and I love to work.
Admire: Determination. Tender paintings of motehr and child. Accepted
by her male countrparts during the time (quite rae for a female
artist).

Keith Haring
Quote: "The best reason to paint is that there is no reason to
paint....Nothing is important so everything is important"
Admire: Service -- Did work to benefit children's hospitals--Work to
benefit AIDS research and Drug Awareness education.

Georgia O'Keeffe
Quote: "Still - in a way - nobody sees a flower - really - it is so
small - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend
takes time."
Admire: Appreciation for nature. Georgia got us to take time to really
look at a flower...She wanted to "fill space in a beautiful way".

Woody? Care to comment on why you selected the six women artists for
your tables? Why did those six come to mind?

---