FW: Back from Iowa!

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 16:48:23 PDT

Hello ArtsFolks,

    Am back from my family reunion in Iowa. Had a wonderful time, despite
being thrown from my horse at the end of a two hour super trail ride. The
horse is OK. :-) Am now recuperating from bad bruises and swelling all over
my right leg and ankle and a smashed toe from the horse hoof. Luckily
nothing is broken.
    On the art front we spent a day touring some of the villages in the
Amana Colonies, an historic German religious commune west of Iowa City. Will
write more about this after I recover a while. Unfortunately, time
restrictions did not permit us a ride up to Cedar Rapids to see the Grant
Wood overalls. What I loved was seeing the authentic central Midwest
panoramas of corn and soy bean fields and endless sky. We even had a full
moon over the weekend. It was extremely hot and humid (98 plus degrees each
day). Our trail ride on Monday was in the early morning and included a cool
off dunk in the river, riders included. All the horses except the Arabian
enjoyed that. I was very glad that my Appaloosa decided not to roll over in
the river.
    The Garst farm resort where the reunion was held has a good history
lesson, too. The grandfather of our hostess was an early proponent of
developing hybrid seed corn, silage for cow feed and the use of nitrogen
fertilizers. In 1959 Nikita Khruschev, then premier of the USSR, came over
to see the farm. Even then, the reporters on the scene were so obnoxious
that Rozwell Garst and Khruschev picked up some silage (fermented corn) and
threw it at them. The B&B farmhouse where I stayed was full of photographs
of this historic visit.

                    Bye for now, from

                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

---