Re: special needs children

---------

Tsheffey_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 19:09:43 PDT

In a message dated 8/7/01 2:28:43 PM US Mountain Standard Time, natu@islc.net
writes:

> This coming year I will be teaching a small group of about 6-8 special needs
> children

I teach alot of special needs kids. The first thing I would do is look over
their record. Find out what grade levels they have tested at, what
disabilities they each have, is one noise sensitive, hearing impaired,
nonverbal, etc. etc. etc.
I always expect alot and see what I get. When they draw you will be able to
guess their "Drawing Age".
Put the aids to work to help the students meet the objectives. Be very
positive!!!!!
I think you will find that they have alot to give you also. Some of my most
treasured memories are from these students.
You might have to play it by ear at first, but you will soon learn what they
can and cannot do.
At you beginning, you could put up some large paper from a roll across the
back of the room and let them create a mural with chalk. They could also
print onto it. It might help you determine their ability levels.
Have fun and good luck.
Teresa in El Paso

---