Re: special needs children

---------

From: Sue Freeland (sudz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 15:03:02 PDT

Christine,
I spent 2 years teaching severely autistic children of varied abilities (none very high).
My advice to you would be to keep things really simple. Find out what they can do and expand on that.
Tactile projects such as fingerpaints and clay or model magicmay work well and non objective work unless they are higher level. We started with just drawing lines & discovered straight, curved etc. Whatever happens remember to keep a sense of humor!
Stringing beads is good for fine motor, also weaving. Hope this helps I can look up more if you need it...no guarantee I'll find it though! :-)
Sue