Re: virus

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 14:26:48 PDT

Deb Hyland wrote:

> A P.S. from Deb, who just sent questions re the virus:
>
> I have Outlook Express on my computer, but don't use it for my email account.
> Does this mean I'm ok, and that the worm would only had activated if I'd opened
> the email in Outlook Express?
>
> Deb
> hyland5@galenalink.com

Deb,

What a morning I've had. I freaked when I saw the original virus
notice, but my anti-virus program didn't say anything, so I thought I
was safe. When I read Norton's SARC page on this virus (the one I
posted to the list), I was relieved when I saw it only affected Outlook
Express, which I don't use. Still, I went to the site suggested by the
downloaded it, was told I didn't have it. A few minutes later, Norton
pops up saying I was infected! It walked me through simply deleting the
file it appeared in; I didn't want to quarantine it, as the file it was
in didn't look important. So I don't know if the virus was in that
message, or the Web site.

The worst came when I did a complete scan of my hard drive, and found
the SirCam virus! How did that get there?! I've received a lot of odd
e-mails from strangers lately, with attachments, which I never opened.

So anyway, I hope you don't start getting bombarded with e-mails from ME
that are infected. Don't open any attachments from me under any
circumstances, no matter how plausible they look.

Maggie

---