The color purple - fun fact

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 09:11:45 PDT

I got this "fun fact" for the color purple off the site Christine
posted.

http://members.tripod.com/Ann_Roomel/artweb1.htm
FUN FACT: During ancient times, "purple" could describe a whole range
of colors in the red-blue range. A tiny gland in a small sea snail
(Murex) was used. It took hundreds of sea snails to get a small
quantity of dye. Therefore, purple became an important color. In Rome,
laws were passed that stated only emperors were allowed to wear
purple. If anyone else wore it, they could be punished.

I added this quote to my Artists' Quote page

"Still - in a way - nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small -
we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes
time." ~ Georgia O'Keeffe.
 http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/quotes.htm

---