Re: pull 'em into the classroom....

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 13:18:08 PDT

pull 'em into the classroom....What a great topic to introduce as we creep
out of summer vacation and return to the daily rigors of school life! :-)
Early this summer I took a weeklong workshop with several other teachers
from my district (hey, it was 2 free graduate hours, even if overall the
class was not up to par!). The last day was about introducing art in the
classroom through art - naturally it was set up by a non-artist and the
drawing class was taught by a girl getting ready to enter her 3rd year of
art ed. in college. The project was we were each given disposable cameras to
take pictures throughout the week. Friday our developed pictures were
returned and we were to take one of our pictures and draw it with charcoal
sticks. Our science teacher was in the class, and he was SOOOOO scared, but
after he got started he loved it! He pulled me aside after class and said
"Now I understand so much better what it is that you do. I am so impressed
by what you are able to pull out of the kids". I floated for the next
several days!
~Michal

---