Re: Sub Problem

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 11:31:00 PDT

Sub shortages are rampant, I fear. In my district (North Texas) we have
a list of reliable art subs, but that list is very limited. When
something such as the TAEA conference comes up, it is almost impossible
to find an art sub because so many art teachers are absent on the same
days.

Our district pays $75-90 a day for subs who are in a building less than
30 days. Long-term subs get a few dollars more. The district is
vigorously recruiting recent retirees to sub. This seems to be an
effective program. The retirees can supplement their income while
offering their expertise in the classroom. The downside is that they
can only work X number of days unless a waiver is sought.

I also read about drawing upon junior or community colleges to fast
track people into the classroom as teachers. Texas, it appears, is
considering this. This worries me, but quite frankly the student
teachers from 4-year institutions who I have supervised as of late are
woefully ill prepared. They have tons of theory, but little practical
knowledge. For example, not a single student teacher knew the difference
between activities and objectives or rubrics and check lists. None knew
how to write a lesson plan or how to really plan and deliver a lesson.
That stems from colleges hiring graduate students or professors with
little or no classroom experience to teach the undergrad preservice
courses. Another kettle of fish altogether and a major gripe of mine.

One final note. My district has implemented a new pay scale this year
that will give us one of the highest starting salaries in the area and
also will reward veteran teachers at various levels of service.
Additionally, everyone in our district from teachers to custodians will
receive a $500 bonus in November for across the board improvement on
TAAS.

Pam

---