Sub Problem

---------

Tsheffey_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 11:06:26 PDT

In a message dated 8/4/01 9:45:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
pknott@enter.net writes:

> Unfortunately the sub problem is so critical that many states are resorting
> to such methods just to have a body.

Where we are in El Paso, there is a terrible shortage of subs. I don't
believe a sub has to have any college credit here. The pay is $45 - $60 /
day. We too are told to try not be out of Fridays or Mondays. I try to call
in a sub as far in advance as I can and I have certain ones I ask for.
However, they are not art people, or college people, but older folks who I
have found to be dependable. My lesson plan is always something simple and I
try to assign students ahead of time to oversee clean-up, etc. I don't see
this getting any better.
Also, I heard on the news the other day that some states are contacting
community colleges to work out a deal where graduates with an Associate
Degree can be quickly certified to teach. I was shocked!! I can't remember
which states. I think Florida might have been one. Have any of you heard
about this?
Laura Bush wants retired military to become teachers. What kind of
requirements are they going to need to meet? I am really concerned that there
is such a great need for just a "warm body" that they will not be qualified
at all.
I know when I finished my program in art education, I had gaps. We all know
what some of those are, but for the most part, I knew my field and felt
confident to teach it.
Another concern: Increasing starting salaries for teachers and sign on
bonuses are becoming more common. This means the larger part of the teacher
raise is going to beginning teachers who stay 2-3 years while the older
teachers get less. How can we as teachers demand that future teachers have a
strong program which prepares them for all aspects of the job as well as and
most importantly a complete knowledge of their subject matter. Is this going
to dissapear just to have a warm body in the classroom. How can concerned
teachers bring these issues to the foreground of these discussions on ways to
get more teachers?
Teresa in El Paso

---