Re: Job openings - near Boston, MA!

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 09:43:58 PDT

>> Are these Boston requirements for real ?

Unfortunately the sub problem is so critical that many states are resorting
to such methods just to have a body.

Many of us are restricted or denied attendance at workshops and conferences,
sometimes even field trips, because there are no subs (especially if those
dates fall on a Friday or a Monday)
Even when I know I am going to be out weeks ahead of time and our only art
sub is lined up for me, she is often pulled for a major subject need (here
we go again, art doesn't matter) and my kids have to go to study hall. I
can't tell you how annoyed I get when I return and find all the time I spent
on plans was wasted time. It's hard to take a day off in education, it takes
time to make all those plans and, having been a day to day sub for several
years I'm very conscientious about how I write those plans. It certainly
feels like a slap in the face when I find out my art sub was used for math
instead.
Sub pay stinks! It is hard to find people with education degrees willing to
make the financial sacrifice, especially the youngsters just graduated and
looking for a position.
I don't think I would have found my current position if I hadn't been a sub.
I entered teaching 20 some years after getting my degree and felt it was the
best way to get current experience. I also had a part time job and
free-lanced while I subbed - there was no way I could have afforded living
on sub wages ( in fact all my sub money only paid for my health insurance.)
If I had been a recent graduate I couldn't have done it.

I think this is a crisis and I'm in the company of every one else with no
solution.

Subbing is awful. Phone calls at 5:30 AM sending you to places you've never
been. Walking into a strange school with only a secretary who points you in
a direction. Sometimes finding NO plans or unitelligible plans, or plans
that take a lot for granted, not knowing the kids and knowing they think a
sub is permission to try to get away with everything they can get away with,
sometimes not getting a free period because administration thinks they can
use you for every coverage, and worst of all going into the faculty room and
being treated like you don't exist. I can't tell you how many places I went
into where NOBODY ever offered a hello, let alone an offer of do you need
any help. Sometimes I felt I had never been treated so rudely in my life.
I'll never forget the time a teacher (only out for a day) wanted me to
unload and load his kiln. Stupid me, at $45.00 a day, stayed after school to
do it.

I think I could design a workshop on sub orientation/ sub survival skills,
Hey maybe that's where I'll make my money

Patty

---