Re: Lessons connecting to "religion"

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 09:20:50 PDT

Judy Decker wrote "Please post ideas you have done --
including ideas you have done in Public schools that help kids learn
the GOOD in all people...."

I find that a lot of my high school students want to express their beliefs
somehow because they are re-examining them at this critical age in their
life. But, it's really a touchy subject because I want to respect all
beliefs (we have Buddha, Islam, Jewish, and tons of Christian
denominations). I did a really successful lesson called "Revisiting Stories
in Art" last spring that many of you helped me find images and examples for
(BTW- Thanks). Each student chose a story (like the crucifixion, Buddha's
enlightenment, or anything from a number of myths and folktales we had
collected), researched the story from original text when possible, found two
artist interpretations of that story, and create a painting that personally
depicted and modernized the students' interpretation of that story. The 3
week unit provoked some wonderfully interesting topics about belief systems
and the history of art. It also made it "okay" for students to express how
they worship without fear of being "uncool." I'm presenting the unit at the
NCAEA convention in October and I'll be happy to share my handouts for
whoever is interested. Just e-mail me at michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com off
the list.

Michelle H. Harrell
http://harrell.srhs.net