Yearbook Class- First Week of School

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 06:47:54 PDT

I do not teach/advise yearbook ---but if I did, I would look at
previous yearbooks and even yearbooks from other schools in the area.
We would talk about good design. We would look at pages that are well
designed and discuss why---and we would look at pages that are poorly
designed. Graphic design is important in yearbooks-- I would discuss
fonts -- type sizes -- all of that good stuff. I would also get a feel
for what committees students want to be on. Which ones are good at
typing (keyboarding), which ones are good at photography -- which ones
will sell adds....Start to establish some of the committee chair
members by going with their natural talents -- then get the rest of
the students in place. Also talk about fund raising --do some
brainstorming (do you want to have a car wash? stuff like that). Do
also get the students thinking about SERVICE -- what kind of services
could they provide for the community -- for other staff members?

The first week, I would also decide how the yearbook is to be done--
digitally or a more traditional approach. Our entire yearbook (middle
school) was done digitally last year. The kids did all the work. The
individual photos were grabbed from a CD provided by the studio that
took the pictures. The advisor and the students did a super job with
what they were required to work with. BUT many people complained about
the quality of the pictures (I know how hard they worked because they
used my printer -- and I was there after school when the kids worked
in the lab--They were terrific!). The students took pictures all
around the building with the Mavica cameras -- The pages still had to
be printed to send to the company --- then the company scanned -- or
photographed what the was sent to them....The digital photos were not
a sharp as the traditional ones in the past---However it did save
money. It was our administrator's idea to do the whole thing
digitally. My only suggestion was to try to raise money so they could
have a hard cover--that was the biggest complaint about last year's
book (I volunteered to help with that).

Judy

---