first minutes of class

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 16:55:33 PDT

When I was teaching middle school, I always wanted the students to come in,
sit down and start working. I found that the quicker they began drawing,
the quicker they settled down. Ever thought about how quiet it is on the
first day of a new lesson...they are so engrossed...actually they are in
their "right mind"...oops, meant "right brain" mode!

I bought a Mark Kistler "Draw Squad" book and used the drawings in there for
warmups. One year, I made copies of the individual "how to's" and had them
on the table when the students came in. They would grab their
journal/sketchbooks and their "how-to" sheet and start working.

Then, I changed this and began using the overhead to "draw together" with
basically the same things. We started with the boxes, spheres, pyramids,
etc. in perspective and they didn't even know they were drawing in
perspective....and then when we actually got into perspective, they
understood it much easier.

The other day, I had two students who are now in high school tell me how
much they enjoyed those little warm-up drawings...and they were sitting
there drawing some of them to show me that they remembered.

Check this out on the internet...there are a few on-line lessons to get you
started. Then you can check out the book, if you like it.

http://www.drawsquad.com/lessons/seven.html

Carolyn Roberts

---