Re: Plaster of Paris

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 16:21:57 PDT

I've got ideas for both your supplies. I used plaster for subtractive
sculpture as a sixth grade project during my student teaching. It was
plaster/vermiculite mix that stays soft for carving and will dry hard once
finished. I got the lesson from a member, Sharon, with a web site - here
http://www.art-rageous.net/carving.html
My students used non-hardening modeling clay in the planning stages before they
carved. I had them try sketching out their ideas showing front, back and side
views (which was tough on their brains)then I had them model their sculpture
idea so they had a 3-d plan to work from.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Does anyone have any good projects using Plaster of Paris? I'm starting
>in Middle School this year and while I was sorting through my room, I
>found a whole lot of it. I'd love to use it and was wondering if anyone
>had any good lessons.
>Also, the teacher before me must have ordered TONS of Crayola modeling
>clay. I'd love to use it, but it is non hardening. I'd hate to have the
>students create a sculpture that can be so easily (accidentally)
>destroyed. Any ideas?
>Thanks!!- Krista

---