Re: Grades in Elementary

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 14:29:05 PDT

>those of you teaching elementary art, how do you
 handle grading- what has worked best for those of you
 that have been teaching awhile?

 In my district the grades are divided up into 3
grades per child for example A1A - first A is for the
performance grade, the number is for the effort, based
on 1,2,3 (1 being excellent), and the last A is for
behavior. As far as kids getting on the honor roll, it
has no relevance what the kid gets in art - has no
effect on achieving the honor roll (?!)
 I keep one tallie sheet for each student for behavior
for each grading period.I still find that rubrics are
the best form of assessment, especially when we have
so many kids. I use them for each project that we do
(approximately 5 projects per grading period) I also
use student self-assessment sheets for each project.
When I grade I use a sliding grading system, which
considers effort, progress, and mastery but I weigh
each component differently depending on the level at
which the student is working.(I note that in the grade
book with N for novice, A for apprentice and V for
veteran). It is interesting to note that your report
cards don't say anything about applying their
knowledge of what they learned.
  Jan in Miami