first Few Minutes of Class

---------

From: Berg, Renee (Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 14:00:31 PDT

The other art teacher and I built up a file of what we call Critical
Thinking CT files. We have a file for each grade. When the kids come into
the room they go to a basket with their classes CT activities of the day,
they grab a sheet, and go to their desk and do the activity. Some are
drawing activities, some are writing activities. They require using no more
then a pencil or colored pencil, provided at the desks. They work about 15
min. quietly, in my class, while I take attendance and talk to kids about
missing work, ect. They list the activity in a folder and put the activity
in the folder and store it in their cubby. They hand it in every 2 weeks
and we grade it. It is worth 10 pts. Our class period is 90 min. and our
kids are 6-8th grade. I did a similar activity at High School, but the
activity was on the overhead and we called it an anticipatory set.

We just got our in-service news. We have a speaker coming to talk about
Differentiated Instruction. It is the new buzz phrase for South Dakota.
Anyone else out there hearing this? They just added a fancy name to what
we've been doing for years, adjusting the curriculum for different learning
levels in your class.
Ta Ta, Renee