Osborne's- "door lock" idea - first minutes of class

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 08:51:45 PDT

This is such a great idea! I am thinking about "stealing" it for
myself..I have thought for a long time about having an "Art Journal"
where the kids would write just the first minute or two of class (have
to be there on time to get it done but can write as soon as they enter
the room if early)....Same idea --but I wouldn't collect it everyday
because I am not that organized (maybe collect and look over on
Fridays?..Student will have just a minute or two then the journals are
collected?). I don't have trouble with kids being late---but I would
like to set the tone for art.

Woody does a question of the day, I think? (will have to check his
site).

Good thing I still have some time to mull it over--- you poor folks
out there who are starting so soon!

I teach middle school....When I come up with some ideas I will post to
the list.
Maybe something like:

"This is what is bugging me today -- I want to forget about it during
art class" (hmmm....good thing I gave them an eraser in their survival
kit).

"This is something that happened that was good today -- I want to show
it in my artwork" (hmmm...maybe they will use those pencils I gave
them in their survival kits)

"This is something that is bugging me today -- that I can not put out
of my mind -- I would like some help with this" (and the kids would
know that they can come and talk to me later about it....that band aid
will come in handy)

If anyone needs the "Survival Kit" - e-mail off list and I will send
it to you via attachment (jdecker@woh.ww.com)

Judy Decker

---