relationships

---------

From: Terry Mead (renmead_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 08:04:22 PDT

Bunki wrote:

> I think most problems with my drawers is their not being able to see
> RELATIONSHIPS between one item and another item in what they are looking at.
> They don't see parts in a cohesive way but tend to separate them and then
> hope for the best when they try to fit the pieces together. I think they
> need to be shown and be walked through the process of making a whole from
> parts.
A way to help: one drawing book mentioned taking a checkerboard from a game
and placing it behind a still life. Fine for smaller objects and places the
idea of a grid behind so that kids can begin to make relationship
connections. Some things I want them to draw are larger, however. By
coincidence my daughter was throwing away a tri-fold corregated cardboard
display board around the same time as I visited one of my favorite quilt
stores and I happened to notice a black and white 3" square checkerboard
fabric. So, with one yard of fabric ($6.99), spray mount, and the cardboard
I had a big enough grid for everything. Early in the process I have the kids
mark off inches on their drawing papers, sometimes even draw lines so that
they can match the grid. Some don't need this at all, some need to be
reminded to count squares and draw items in front of black squares if that
is where they see it.

Lois Mead
Joaquin Moraga Inter. School
Moraga, Ca.