Universal Truths -- What would you list?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 06:56:35 PDT

Well folks...here I am still having fun with my family name...I found
out it originally meant "Powerful Army" (way back 1200's or so)....So
now I am drumming up soldiers for my war against bullying and school
violence....and my "fight" for world peace....Bear with me now-- I
won't have as much time during the year to be a "gook".....This is the
generation of kiddies that can do it (The children are our future --
all that good stuff)....We have to make them believe they have the
power (This list reaches far and wide...I am setting an example for
them -- showing them I believe they can do it).

I believe there are "universal truths" across all cultures on how
people should behave towards one another (This might be a good "social
studies" lesson for older kids-- never thought about that till
now)....Let us see if we can list them (if you can-- list
documentation where you found that "truth"). I will start:

1. Treat others as you wish to be treated (this hits quite a few
cultures -- you will recognize the re-wording of the "Golden Rule")

Fabulous Friday!

Judy Decker

P.S. I am establishing my classroom as the "Art Culture". We are going
to post guidelines on how our culture behaves to get along.and what
will happen if one of our members does not....(Hmmm....was it Jackie
who said this first? Guidelines -- not rules?) --- Of course, I will
be of highest rank in this culture as I will be the teacher (in many
cultures the teachers are highly respected -- high ranking
people)...And I will also be the Groit (story teller) and those folks
are high ranking, too... I will find a high ranking position to be (my
role --- heck we perform everyday) with each culture I teach.

---