My Rubric (and grades), elementary

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 06:19:50 PDT

Hi, I just got finished typing and printing out posters with my general
rubric on it. I thought I'd share . . . BTW, I have more specific criteria
for each lesson and class posted on the board as we work.

We do official grades twice a year and we give plusses, checks, and minuses.
I grade almost all projects (except in k, no grades) and in my grade book, I
also use check plusses and check minuses (then it's like A-F). I assign 5
points to plusses, down to 1 point for minuses (usually they still did
something). I then add up the points and divide by the number of grades.
Since I can't give check plusses and check minuses on the report card I
split those sections in two, and round up, or down (so the check category is
HUGE).

Now my rubric: first I state that plus means exemplary or good (large
spectrum), check means acceptable, and minus means not acceptable.

Then, under plus, these phrases are written: I produce high quality/
creative work (I'll explain as per assignment); I apply all skills,
especially those stressed for the project; I participate in class and use
time well; I solve problems and work independently.

Under check plus: I produce quality work; I make an effort to apply skills,
especially those stressed for the project; I participate in class and use
time well; I try to solve problems and usually work independently.

Under check: I produce acceptable work; I apply some of the skills that are
expected for the project;
I usually participate in class and use time well; I sometimes solve problems
and work independently.

Check minus: I produce work of inconsistent quality; I rarely apply the
expected skills for the project; I sometimes participate in class and use
time well; I rarely work independently or solve problems.

Minus: I produce no work or very poor quality; I do not apply the expected
skills for the project; I do not participate in class and use time well; I
do not work independently or solve problems.

They should consider these guidelines for every project. Sometimes I feel
harsh spelling it all out, but I feel all students can earn a plus, so it's
good if they know how. "Quality," is judged by time, effort, and
craftsmanship as well as communication of the idea and demonstration of the
concepts taught. Incidentally, students can work on projects as long as
they want, as long as I get it before I do grades. After the classroom
cut-off date, they must work on it on their own time (most don't but some
do). Also, after evaluation, they are allowed to work more, and resubmit
the work.

Hope this helps someone, sorry so long.
Leah

---