Re: Counselors and art

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 00:33:20 PDT

I guess I'm on a roll tonight, but this is another thing I have to respond
to.
I try very hard not to be critical of fellow professionals but I have too
much evidence of guidance counselors telling kids not to take art.
It's been a battle for a long time and I HAVE HAD confrontations , but it
continues.
This year I had a student that wan't to drop a language level 5 class in
order to take another art class. We have a policy of students carrying 5
majors. She was told by the counselor that she couldn't drop the language
because AP ART DID NOT COUNT AS A MAJOR SUBJECT
I also have middle school counselors telling students NOT to take art
because it's too hard.
Last year when I had my 8th grade orientation for course selection. I
commented to the parents on all I had heard about guidance steering kids
away from art and told the parents that if they want their kid to have art
to demand it. Boy did I get a confrontation. But I don't care. I just told
them how inappropriate I felt their suggestions were.

As far as guidance wanting kids to leave my class to see them. I just don't
give the pass. The kids don't want to go, so they don't go.

I have the same problem with administration, they want to take the
discipline problems from my class. I ain't got no discipline problems!!!
Patty

RIGHT ON, KEN!!!!! I agree with you. I have had them do the same thing to
my students...telling them they need to take something else other than
art...because it will look better on their transcript!
Carolyn

Boy does this strike a nerve!

---