Re: computers fruit lesson

---------

From: Wendy (wendy570_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 19:54:30 PDT

Mea,
The "fruit face" lesson (developed by one of my
colleagues) required the students to use only images
from the libraries available in Claris Works. These
clip art images can be ungrouped so that parts of them
could be used in different ways. For instance, one
piece of clip art was a couple of cherries with stems
attached. The image could be ungrouped in order to
use the individual cherries for eyeballs. Students
got very creative with this project. They were
restricted to using only the food clip art (about 30
images). Students created ears, intricate eyes with
lashes & brows, mouths with teeth, noses, moustaches,
freckles, hair, hats, etc. all by taking apart,
recoloring and resizing pieces of clip art.

One catch, which may be more realistic for middle
school than for elementary level students is that they
were required to create a perfectly symmetrical face.
This required them to use the "flip horizontally"
function and copying and pasting.

Unfortunately, the updated version of Claris Works,
Appleworks 6, contains a completely different and more
limited library of clip art. I am not sure if this
project would be possible with the updated version,
however, other similar programs would probably
accomodate it.

To answer your other question, yes, I did show them
examples of past students' creations and I
demonstrated a very quick example of a fruit face on
my computer (projected on an overhead screen).

Hope this helps,
Wendy