Re: What causes Low-Ability in Drawing?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 19:49:32 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Chris" <christopherness@avenew.com>
> We've already talked extensively about the natural or environmental
> effects on "art ability", but I wanted to get your opinions on the actual
> incapacities which inhibit a student from drawing well.
> For example, would you say it's Eye/Hand Coordination or Lack of Patience?
> What else?> Chris in Chicagoland
********************

IMHO I think most problems with my drawers is their not being able to see
RELATIONSHIPS between one item and another item in what they are looking at.
They don't see parts in a cohesive way but tend to separate them and then
hope for the best when they try to fit the pieces together. I think they
need to be shown and be walked through the process of making a whole from
parts.

I considered myself an average drawer in college until a traveling professor
at our University took me aside and spent all of 5 mins. explaining this
concept. From that moment my drawing ability changed drastically plus I can
see the difference also when I explain it to my kids and they understand the
concept.

I really don't think the problems lie so much with hand/eye coordination
(because I think most mid. schoolers can accomplish that) nor lack of
patience. I think it's their frustration of not knowing EXACTLY what to do
first. That's why they NEED us! Toodles.....Bunki

---