Re: yearly plan

---------

From: Teri Tucciarelli (ttucciarelli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 18:46:51 PDT

Lin- I know it's been awhile since your post, but I've
been turning this over in my mind also. One year, I
used an art history theme, started with cave art and
progressed from there. The problem with that method
was that there were so many interruptions, such as
holidays, school plays, etc. that we did artwork for,
that we didn't get very far. We were up to the
Renaissance when school got out. Also, I felt like a
lot of it just was over their heads. The little ones
just want to make stuff! Last year I just used a
project to project theme- we started the year with
color, line, texture, pattern, etc., and then we were
able to refer back to that knowledge whenever
possible. After that I chose projects I thought each
grade level would enjoy, trying to hit as many mediums
as possible. That worked well, but I still would like
to have a better plan so that all the kids get a
progressive,consistent art curriculum. As far as the
art history goes, maybe it would work well to start
with 2nd grade and do stone age, 3rd egyptian and
greek and roman, 4th middle ages and renaissance,5th
impressionism and modern art. Just thinking out
loud-and I'm sorry to say I haven't come up with an
answer yet.

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu