Computer Hackers

---------

From: SHARON STEERE (SS21803_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 13:07:54 PDT

Another tactic for hacking! I just received this one! Sharon S.

Subject:
              [NEBRRoots] From ListAdmin -- Please Read!
         Date:
              Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:27:43 -0400
        From:
              Bill Oliver <wnoliver@worldnet.att.net>
           To:
              NEBRRoots-L@rootsweb.com

Osido,

This is a multiple posting by me for all lists that I am
Admin for -- some of you WILL get duplicates, please accept
apologies for this as well as sending out another warning
notice. I have received notice from three friends
concerning the following, thus I feel it has merit. Even if
it is false, it is something I have been expecting for
sometime. In other words, the advice given here is good at
any rate. :)

Spammers and Virus Hackers are becoming more sophisticated.

The latest in spamming is to gain access [subscribe] to
lists; then falsify the address of someone [Admins are good
targets] and request subscribbers/members to send in their
name and e-mail addresses. The next thing the admin notices
is that person disappears from the list, however the list
members get spammed in their e-mail addys boxes.

If I need your name I certainly will ask you privately. In
addition you can check the validity of my request by asking
[ListName]-Admin@rootsweb.com, where [ListName; i.e.
NEBRRoost-L/D] is the name of the list you are subbed to.
Thus, DO NOT send you name and address to someone who simply
asks for it. Know whom you send your information to. If
folks do not identify themselves, or the information they
supply is suspect, DO NOT send your personal information.

There is no need to jam the List with any reply; however,
you are welcome to comment privately. If anything seems to
warrant telling the entire list, I will do so.

Thank you all for your great behavior on these lists.
Everyone appreciates it.

Special note to NEBRRoots-L and NEBRHeritage-L members:
Connie Snyder often steps in as Admin for me when I am
unavailable. Notes from her carry the same weight as my
own.

Wado,

Bill

---