Re: grades in Elementary

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 15:52:53 PDT

Hi Teri --
I choose only several projects to grade per semester, grades 2-5. I tell
them what in particular I will be grading on --- it's usually a skill of
some sort. Cutting, gluing (no oozy glue, etc), showing a change of color ,
painting all sides of a sculpture, using a ruler properly, mixing colors,
creating different kinds of textures -- etc. With 3rd, 4th and 5th I
usually throw in a couple of simple self-assessment papers. We only have to
put grades on report cards twice a year so if I choose my timing correctly
not all the grading has to be done at once. For K's and 1's it is uaually
all S's for everyone. How can a kinder be unsatisfactory at art!!
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net