Re: First day back...and a question for you

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 13:35:46 PDT

A good first day assignment that will help you assess your students (and can
be adapted to about any level) is this:

Have them do a drawing (I used copy paper) that includes at least...
  One person (full person, not just a head)
  One house (whole house, not part of it)
  One tree (entire tree)
and as many details as they can think of...however, a lot of times, I will
give them more specifics, such as....

Children jumping up picking apples off of a tree...
Sidewalk with flowers
Fence
Road
Cat
Dog
and so on....

Take them up and keep them in a folder for each class. Then at the end of
the semester or year or beginning of next year if you have them each
year...have them repeat the drawing with the same set of instructions...then
you can compare the two and see what they've learned during the year. This
is very good to show parents and also a good evaluation of student learning.

You can tell what they know about perspective...both linear and
aerial...what they know about "looking at trees and drawing them"...and how
much they know about "figure drawing".

Carolyn Roberts

> Hi, this is Donna Clark. The one who is GETTIN BACK IN THE SADDLE, after
> 20 years away! Judy Decker has been so gracious to help me with sooo
> much. Thanks, Judy! Justwondering-- could someone respond with ideas
> for the FIRST WEEK of school. I used to do a pre-test survey thing. the
> kids divided the paper into about 12 different areas and I had specific
> things I had them do in each area (pencil/drawing paper--but alas that was
> 20 years a go and I can't find it :( It showed me what they already
> knew. Prior knowledge can guide future lessons. Can anyone help with
> something like this for my FIRST WEEK with the kids. (which is August
> 22+). Thanks Tons, Donna PS You guys are the greatest!!!!!!!!!

---