grades in Elementary

---------

From: Teri Tucciarelli (ttucciarelli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 09:45:42 PDT

For those of you teaching elementary art, how do you
handle grading- what has worked best for those of you
that have been teaching awhile? This will be my third
year, and I am still not satisfied with our system.
We give E,S, and N. It always ends up being a
behavior grade. Most of my students received S's,
those who really went the extra mile got E's, behavior
problems got N's. However, an S keeps them off the
principal's honor roll, so I've had a few parents
upset because of that. I would like to give a better
assessment, but I also want to keep it simple because
of grading almost 600 students. This year I will
probably use a simple rubric. Any other ideas? Our
report card says "participates and shows interest" in
the art line- that is just so vague. I was told that
I can change the wording, so I'd like to also change
that this year. - Teri