locking my door a new way

---------

From: The Osbornes (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 09:32:47 PDT

> I have locked my door on late students<
+++++++++++++++++

I utilize a daily participation grade this way....It's really more for
getting kids to class on time....
I post a daily curriculum related question on the overhead each day.
Sometimes a review of information covered, a prelude to what is coming, (a
nice anticipatory fact (more than a set)
and sometimes just a fun question! The kids all come to class and wait for
the question once they figure out its importance...The kids write the
question on paper, in a complete sentence of course..and hand it to me....I
scour over them, check them off, and put them in the grade book
immediately...It's painless.

The key here is the kids HAVE TO BE IN CLASS, BEFORE THE BELL RINGS, or no
points...My administration supports this 100% because I attach a curriculum
related question to the participation points...and IT REALLY WORKS....
Over the course of a semester, 5 points a day adds up quick and kids that
are tardy often seem to start showing up on time....
Works great at progress report time also, Johnny's mom asks why Johnny is
not doing so good, I go to the gradebook and find ole Johnny has been tardy
the last 20-30 class periods....and course has lost 100 points(20x5)...very
significant...

I do make it fun sometimes and even give "question amnesty day" every couple
of weeks...but you still have to be on time!

It easy.
The kids like it....
It's right at the beginning of class so it does not have much impact on
class time.
It noted in big letters on my syllabus!
It's worth points and the kids know its easy money so to speak....but it
works....Granted they should be on time, but they are in high school...and
those social passing times are just too short. (laughing)
One girls was tardy by a minute one day, I asked why, she said "I fell
down"...the whole class erupted....
It's a great incentive...

This is my way of locking my door......

G. Oz....