Re: Counselors and art

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 08:03:10 PDT

In a message dated 08/01/2001 5:13:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Tsheffey@aol.com writes:

> Do
> you many of you have this problem of being constantly interrupted because
> the
> counselors think that it is ok to take them out of art (they wont miss

Boy does this strike a nerve! I have a counselor who is a functional idiot
and could never make it as a classroom teacher so they made her a counselor.
I have actually had her tell my top art student who is the Bank of America
plaque winner to not take art but take Physics instead because art has no
future. She tells art 1 students (freshmen) to not take art unless you are
very talented!? Anyway I get requests from her and the other counselors to
send (someone) down to see them. I send the note back saying that he/she
can't come now because they would miss valuable time in class. Sometimes the
note says at the teacher's convenience. I usually tell the kid it's not
convenient. The counselors tell the kids that they try to talk to them
during Art because it isn't important. Well, It's important to me and the
kids tell me it's important to them and think it should be spread around to
all their classes and I will take my turn with the others. A better solution
would be to contact these people before or after school, and in the
administrative classes.

I'm sorry to rant, but this is a bug of mine.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---