The Sun in Art (for Parochial Schools)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 18:39:11 PDT

I just spent some time today with a list member who is going to be
teaching in a private Christian School. Many of you teach in private
Christian/Catholic Schools and are concerned about how to introduce
world religions. This idea popped into my head today. How about taking
an idea that is also in the Christian religion and show how it
relates....For instance "The Sun" is important to many world religions
(past and present). Find passages in the Bible that relate to the
sun... Like the verse Renee has shared:

"From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the Lord's
name is to be praised." Psalms CXIII: 3

Students could do their own art about the sun and then include some
verse from the Bible--- or some other spiritual message. For art
appreciation and art history- you could show other examples of the sun
and art and explain how those images were important to the culture and
why the sun was revered as a god. I have many sun images on file if
anyone is interested.

BTW....This is Wonderful Wednesday.....That sun did rise and set since
Terrific Tuesday.... I just hadn't noticed cause I was so involved in
researching my family history for my graduate class (giggle)....Back
Yard History..I will post more on that later.

Wonderful Wednesday....

Judy Decker

---