Goals for art history

---------

From: Juline Chevalier (julinec_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 10:49:14 PDT

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the list and have enjoyed
starting my mornings at work by reading all your
contributions. I am not a seasoned teacher as many of
you sound to be, but rather, am pursuing a career in
museum education (I recently finished grad school in
an Arts in Education program and am now a lowly
Education Fellow at a Contemp. art museum in New
England).

I am, however, about to embark on the daunting project
of teaching our new volunteer guides all about art
history (well, Manet to today). I am in the planning
stages now and come to you all for input and advice.

What do you think are reasonable learning goals? I am
especially interested in hearing from H.S. Art History
teachers (if there are any out there...I know my H.S.
didn't have one!)

My students will likely be female, caucasian and over
40. These are the folks that will lead tour groups
all around the museum, hopefully with the wonderful
inquiry method rather than lecturing. So, these are
the folks that may be talking to your students. What
kind of art history background do you think they
should have for this?

All input is welcome. Feel free to e-mail me directly
at julinec@yahoo.com

Cheers,
Juline

=====
"It's a question of letting your mind go to sleep and just using your eyes." -Ellsworth Kelly