Re: CAVE PAINTINGS (long)

---------

From: L. E. Horvath (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 13:45:46 PDT

Donna,
I have a book on creating petroglyphs that says:
"The easiest to find and most permanent pigments are pieces of soft stone
and minerals. A knowledge of geology is not necessary to find these
materials, but if you know something about the hardness and softness of
various rocks, you will discover pigment sources quite easily. We advocate
a trial-and-error method with some simple guidelines. Give any piece of
stone that has an interesting color the thumbnail test: if you can easily
scratch the stone with your nail, it should grind easily into a powdered
pigment. Slightly harder stones can be used, but the grinding is more
difficult.
Reds, yellows, and ochres are the easiest to find. Iron oxide is the
prevalent coloring agent in most reds and pinks. Banks of crumbling rock
that are in the process of weathering are a source of soft stones. Shales
and sedimentary rocks tend to be soft. Pieces of soft stone can be used for
drawing, as you would use pastels, chalk, or crayons.
Another source of pigment is clay. Clay appears in many colors, ranging
from white through gray, yellow, pink, red, and brown. Clay is often found
along stream beds. Charcoal is the most available non-toxic material form
of the color black. It can be found wherever there has been a wood fire.
Or, burn wood to make your own, but put out the fire before all the wood
turns to ash. We have found wonderful reds and pinks, even in city
environments, in old pieces of broken soft brick.
Various berries can serve as paints. Experimentation may be necessary to
find which berries in your area make good pigments and whether they hold
their color after they dry. The seeds and skins should be removed and the
pulp pulverized to a paint consistency. Liquid, a medium, may be added to
improve the consistency."

Hope this helps!!
-Lydia de Toledo