Re: Handheld Devices - need advice

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 10:31:36 PDT

> From: Woody Duncan <wduncan@kc.rr.com>

> To me "teacher observation" is the most valid type of assessment.
> It falls into the category of "authentic assessment".
I totally agree with you that teacher observation is most valid. After all,
it our job to check for understanding and see to it that it is accomplished.
I think I am interested in the handheld devices because I am not provided a
computer at school for my own use. I keep my grades electronically at home
and I'm looking for an easier way to enter and make the translations to my
home computer.

>I don't use a palm
> but I've used a self made rubric for years before the term became vogue.
> I mark down either: check +, check, check -, or zero on a xerox copy of
> my photo seating chart. You can devise elaborate descriptions for each
> level to keep your principle happy. Mine are very simple:
> check + = WOW
> check = Met Expectations
> check - = Below Expectations
> zero = Nothing or Absent
> I'm a big believer in the KISS rule of record keeping.
> Keep It Simple Stupid, Woody in KC

I think it's just grand that art teachers have always used authentic
assessment and rubrics and portfolios and now the rest of them are catching
on and they think they have discovered something new. I always had a set of
criteria and expectations for projects, long before I ever heard the word
rubric and when I started going to in-services where they were trying to
teach how to do this, I could only chuckle.

Woody, I am trying to keep it simple. I think the Palm is no different from
my attendance sheets or grade book and will only make it easier to maintain
the daily chores. And I'm wondering if the hand held device has enough
capacity that my seating charts with photos could be entered.
But then of course there is the problem of what I will provide for a sub....

Thanks for your advice
Patty

---