Re: Using magazine pictures as a resources thumbs up or thumbs down ??

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 05:34:41 PDT

The art ed classes I took at the local university to be certified in art ed
required picture files for reference--a huge portion of the grade as a
matter of fact. At the time, I thought it was a bit ridiculous, but spent
hours compiling hundreds of visuals from magazines, gallery handouts, etc.
I have used it extensively in projects due to the fact that many students
can't draw well from memory. Now, college programs and the AP program
especially discourages drawing from photographs and other images--as
opposed to drawing from direct observation. I try to balance the
experiences, but sometimes it's just impossible to draw without having some
reference material to refer to. I instruct the students to use the photo
images ad reference, but they must alter and change them somewhat to make
them their own ideas. Actually, I have begun to require the students to
bring in their own photography to work from.

I'm privileged to have an art studio in an art district in Atlanta, and
many of the professional artsists there paint from their own photographs.
Also, in many of my travels, I take extensive photographs to work from, and
find these resources invaluable.

As we all know, there are countless ways to approach art, and there is room for
each. However, many of the competitions seem to want "original" ideas and
works that reflect higher level thinking.

Hope this helps in putting this into perspetive.

Judie

>Hi All,
> How do you all feel about using magazine pictures as a resource to draw
>from ??
>(at the elementary level )
>I have a lot of magazines that were donated to me, (Nat'l Geographic,
>Smithsonian, Audobon). My plan is to make a picture file so that my students
>will be able to use the pictures as they create their original art. Not
>collage but as a visual source. Filing them in groupings like birds, houses,
>castles, people.
>Do you think this is a good idea. I have heard people some teachers say kids
>should draw from life. I see them getting frustrated as to what things really
>look like. The pictures I have used really seem to help. Is this considered
>plaigarism ?? I always used them when I was younger.
>Please help with your opinions,
>Thanks Christine B :)

---