Re: Handheld Devices - need advice

---------

From: Clark Fralick (cfralick_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 22:05:12 PDT

Well, I think I am the only one who has done this to some degree. I teach
elementary art and tried keeping participation/extra credit points on my
handheld last year. I use a Handspring Visor that I just love. Anyway, I
set up a spreadsheet with all of my classes with all of the students. It
took me about an hour to type all 500 or so names into individual class
spreadsheets(Excel. Then with the program Quicksheet by Cutting Edge
Software, I could synch my spreadsheets onto my palm unit.

 Each day the students received 1 point for doing what they're expected to
do. If they didn't I just erased their point. If they earned extra credit
I just added it to their daily point. At the end of each day I synched it
to my computer and everything was updated.
I later purchased a printing program that allowed me to print to our laser
printers.

This works very well. I also use my handheld to journal and outline my
lessons.

If you are interested in more information about these devices, let me know
and I'll let you know more specifics.

Clark

---