Tea and a late stroll

---------

From: Lori Graham (graham24_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 18:35:57 PDT

Arties,
The summer class I am teaching at a local college is almost over, with only two more weeks of hands-on, in-class drawing. One student shows up late every single class meeting. She is always walking in the door with her tea cup in her hand, at least 15 to 20 minutes after class starts. She takes a seat at the back of the room.

I have noted in my syllabus that if a student is not in class when roll is taken, then they will be counted absent. Unfortunately, I missed dropping the student before the drop deadline. I have collectively told the class not to be late, personally told this student not to come in late again, etc. The results: the late stroll with the tea cup. Tomorrow, if she is late, I want to tell her to not come into the room, or lock the door, or ???

Watch, when grades are recorded and she receives a grade lower than what she earned on tests, projects, etc., she will be at the admin's office filing a complaint. Yes, this is also outlined on my syllabus; i.e., "your grade will be lowed if....." You know the drill.

Frustrated,
Lori

---