Re: Handheld Devices - need advice

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 12:56:35 PDT

I agree - make this as painless for yourself as possible. I give 5 points
daily. 1 for attendance, 1 for bringing necessary supplies, 1 for each 30
minutes spent working. I have a spread sheet that has the entire class
roster with boxes after each name to document points. At the top I list the
date, then as I do attendance I place an X in the appropriate box beside the
names of absent students. At the end of class I quickly jot down points. I
put these in my gradebook weekly. We have electronic gradebooks, so I make
daily points worth 25% of their total grade.
~Michal

> That seems like a LOT of extra work! If you have to log all of your
> students names, the amount of particiation for every student, every day,
how
> much memory would that take up on a palm pilot? I teach HS too, and for
the
> particiaption part of the grade I mainly base it on attendance - I assume
> that if the student is in class, they are working. If they are NOT
working,
> we have a "one subject report" that gets sent to their homeroom teacher
and
> filed in the students folder, letting everyone know they are not doign
what
> is expected. Maybe you could just base particiaption on attendance and
make
> note only when a student is not working on what they are expected to be
> doing. Luckily, our attendance is computerized so all I have to do is
call
> the office if I want a students attendance record. Good luck with your
> quest!

---