Re: Handheld Devices - need advice

---------

From: Judi Carter (judihc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 13:16:35 PDT

Handheld Devices - need advicePatricia,
In the past, 30% of my students photography grade was on participation. I have tried so many different methods. Currently, I am not giving participation grades. But when I did, I found that it took too much of my classroom time. I tried giving a daily grade, then I tried the three times a week approach and finally, random checks.
Our school is piloting hand held (Palm IIIc) devices this year. All upper school students are required to purchase the Palm and all teachers receive one. We had a six hour in service with more training to come. As I become more familiar with the ways we implement the devices into the curriculum, I would be happy to keep you updated. However, as far as using them to keep track of your students participation, I can only say that in my opinion, keeping track on a Palm wouldn't be any easier than in a grade book.

Judi in NC