lascaux thank yous

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 09:27:33 PDT

Thanks for all the suggestions for middle school
appropriate Lascaux projects. Since it is the very
first assignment with this group, I have decided not
to do a clay project, although some of your
suggestions were fantastic. I instead took them to the
computer lab for some web research, giving them a
worksheet of open ended questions like "Why do you
think most of the paintings were of animals" etc. When
we came back to class we had an amazing discussion
about ritual and communication, etc. We will spend
the rest of this week's classes experiencing cave art,
discussing reasons for doing it, and collaborating on
ideas for how the students might make a cave painting.
I wish Judy Decker would have sent her idea to the
whole list, because it is the one I plan to tweak and
use. They will collaborate on an "under the table"
cave painting
with the lights turned off and only flashlights to
"paint" by. They will have to tell a story on Friday
that goes with the painting. I'll keep the list
updated with whether or not this was successful and if
it is something I will try again.
Jayna