White Buffalo Calf Woman - Lakota culture

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 20:53:54 PDT

Patricia sent this site to me:
http://www.homestead.com/WhiteBuffaloMiracle/index.html

I have known for years about the White Buffalo calf (although I
thought it was born more recently than 1994). I learned about Lakota
religion/beliefs in a class I took summer of 1998. Since the Lakota
can not have their gold of the Black Hills -- I bought a little of it
for them (I have a ring made from gold of the Black Hills). I guess
this summer I have been helping the Lakota, too.
I like the line at the bottom...the children ARE our future! We have a
tough job.

Below is from: http://www.kstrom.net/isk/arvol/buffpipe.html
"No matter what happens to Miracle in the coming months and years,
Joseph Chasing Horse says the birth is a sign from the Great Spirit
and the ensuing age of harmony and balance it represents cannot be
revoked. That doesn't mean, of course, that the severe trials Native
Americans have endured since the arrival of Europeans on these shores
are over. Indeed, the Lakota nation mounted the longest court case in
U.S. history in an unsuccessful effort to regain control of the Black
Hills, the sacred land on which the White Buffalo Calf Woman appeared
2,000 years ago."

"Still, despite their ongoing struggles, Native Americans are
heartened by the appearance of a white buffalo in Janesville, and have
hope for a harmonious and prosperous future."

"'Mention that we are praying, many of the medicine people, the
spiritual leaders, the elders, are praying for the world,' says Joseph
Chasing Horse. 'We are praying that mankind does wake up and think
about the future, for we haven't just inherited this earth from our
ancestors, but we are borrowing it from our unborn children.'"

---