Onward march! Fight Against School Violence

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 06:30:50 PDT

OK...we have a new war now....Although we will fight our war with
words/actions/art as our weapons (smile). I have been working on
school bullying for a couple of years now....I read this list to my
husband
and he said---"well that takes care of about 90% of my students" (he
will be inner city)

Some of you may not get the NAEA News....so I am going to post the
"Checklist of Characteristics of Youth Who Have Cause School
Associated Violent Deaths" ( From the National School Safety Center
- 1998) -- These will serve as an alert - I know they don't teach
everything
in our education courses...(some of the most frightening stuff is left
for us to
"discover")

1. Has a history of tantrums and uncontrollable angry outbursts.

2. Characteristically resorts to name calling, cursing, or abusive
language.

3. Habitually makes violent threats when angry.

4. Has previously brought a weapon to school.

5. Has a background of serious disciplinary problems at school and in
the community.

6. Has a background of drug, alcohol or other substance abuse or
dependency.

7. Is on the fringe of his/her peer group with few or no close
friends.

8. Is preoccupied with weapons, explosives or other incendiary
devices.

9. Has previously been truant, suspended or expelled from school.

10. Displays cruelty to animals.

11. Has little or no supervision and support from parents or a caring
adult.

12. Has witnessed or been a victim of abuse or neglect in the home.

13. Has been bullied and/or bullies or intimidates peers or younger
children.

14. Tends to blame others for difficulties and problems he/she causes
him/herself.

15. Consistently prefers TV shows, movies or music expressing violent
themes.

16. Prefers reading materials dealing with violent themes, rituals
and abuse.

17. Reflects anger, frustrations and the dark side of life in school
essays or writing projects.

18. Is involved with a gang or an antisocial group on the fringe of
peer acceptance.

19. Is often depressed and/or has significant mood swings.

20. Has threatened or attempted suicide.

Here is a link I found in Kevan's article:
http://www.cs.utk.edu/%7Ebartley/other/prp.html
Add a purple ribbon to the "Survival Kit" for your students.

Advice to parents and teachers:
http://members.aol.com/kthynoll/schools.htm

"Early Warning Signs" (also in the NAEA News) are on this site (actual
link was too long):
http://www.air-dc.org/cecp/guide/annotated.htm

Peace Curriculum- Grades 1- 6
http://www.mincava.umn.edu/reports/book/
more links - http://www.mincava.umn.edu/educ.asp

Children's Art http://www.peace.co.il/priz_win.htm

More links in Kevan's article:
http://www.art-themagazine.com/insite7.htm
In Ghandi's words, " We must be the change we wish to see in the
World."

Judy Decker

---