OK...we have a new war now....Although we will fight our war with
words/actions/art as our weapons (smile). I have been working on
school bullying for a couple of years now....I read this list to my
and he said---"well that takes care of about 90% of my students" (he
will be inner city)
Some of you may not get the NAEA News....so I am going to post the
"Checklist of Characteristics of Youth Who Have Cause School
Associated Violent Deaths" ( From the National School Safety Center
- 1998) -- These will serve as an alert - I know they don't teach
in our education courses...(some of the most frightening stuff is left
for us to
1. Has a history of tantrums and uncontrollable angry outbursts.
2. Characteristically resorts to name calling, cursing, or abusive
3. Habitually makes violent threats when angry.
4. Has previously brought a weapon to school.
5. Has a background of serious disciplinary problems at school and in
6. Has a background of drug, alcohol or other substance abuse or
7. Is on the fringe of his/her peer group with few or no close
8. Is preoccupied with weapons, explosives or other incendiary
9. Has previously been truant, suspended or expelled from school.
10. Displays cruelty to animals.
11. Has little or no supervision and support from parents or a caring
12. Has witnessed or been a victim of abuse or neglect in the home.
13. Has been bullied and/or bullies or intimidates peers or younger
14. Tends to blame others for difficulties and problems he/she causes
15. Consistently prefers TV shows, movies or music expressing violent
16. Prefers reading materials dealing with violent themes, rituals
17. Reflects anger, frustrations and the dark side of life in school
essays or writing projects.
18. Is involved with a gang or an antisocial group on the fringe of
19. Is often depressed and/or has significant mood swings.