J. Does in Omaha, cows in KC, chairs in Phoenix

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 10:14:55 PDT

I am currently involved in a charity project (CHAIRity 2001) where we
artists decorate huge chairs and they are on public display downtown for
"Domestic Violence Awareness Month" (October), then auctioned off and the
proceeds go to the Phoenix Family Advocacy Center. Last year I believe we
had 38 chairs. I collaborated on one of them last year, and this year I
get to do my own. The material cost is paid for by sponsors, so we artists
donate "just" our time, labor and expertise.

My studio web site has a page about the chair we built, last year,
specifically, at-
http://www.desertdragonpottery.com/tileprojects/chair.html

And, my webmaster lady posted a private page, with photos of almost all the
chairs, and her comments, at-
http://www.desertdragonpottery.com/chairs/chairs_myview.html

There are some very dramatic ones there, it was great fun to see them all
displayed. They were auctioned off, and this year the process will be the
same (but they are aiming for fewer chairs).

I am not sure why Phoenix doesn't have permanent large scale figurative
sculpture like all these other cities, we seem to have a lot of attention
and approval for public art, tile-work, metal-work, cement-work, etc, in
various parts of the Valley of the Sun.

---