Re: lascaux

---------

From: marcy bogdanich (marcy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 07:31:22 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Jayna Ledbetter <jayna_99@yahoo.com>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 8:59 PM
Subject: lascaux

> Help me folks.
> I am teaching a painting class to eighth graders and I
> would like to take it from an art history approach.
> Therefore, I would start with the cave paintings and
> so on. Does anyone have a successful lesson plan that
> involves an art product related to cave paintings? I
> have 29 students in the class and not a whole lot of
> room. I am planning to introduce the lesson with a
> trip to the computer lab for internet search about the
> caves. Thanks to Judith Decker it was easy to find
> good cave painting sites. I've seen lessons involving
> students bringing in rocks, but I thought, where would
> I find a rock if someone asked me to, and I think that
> would be a bit of a challenge. The crumbled paper bags
> are too elementary. Suggestions please!
>
> Jayna
> Had my 5th graders bring in (I also supplied) materials for hand made
brushes. They had to lash the bristles to a stick. I then mixed powdered
tempera with gel medium to simulate ground pigment and egg white or fat etc.
They then painted an animal etc. on brown, tan or gray paper. Also used
large pieces of brown craft paper and had the kids stand at the board and
using conte crayons, chalk and charcoal for a group cave drawing project.
They enjoyed both projects.