Re: Need HS portfolio ideas

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 10:06:53 PDT

In a message dated 08/06/2001 8:34:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
MarshArt@aol.com writes:

> Can you HS
> teachers suggest what you find is necessary to show a well rounded
> portfolio.

I tell my students that a well rounded portfolio is important to show who
ever is looking at it that you are talented, craftsman like, show many media,
and a wide variety of expressions, such as the modes of design. Abstraction
and nonobjective works that show good composition as well as an interesting
use of multi media can be very important. Drawing from life is good and
quick contours that show natural talent and ease of drawing. From very
tight, controlled, scratchboards to loose watercolors, multimedia, cubist
abstractions, hardedged as well as painterly approaches to many of the
different styles in art.

When my students send their work into a school, we think of showing these
kinds of things. The students who are more one-dimensional see quickly how
their portfolio seems similar and uninteresting, compared to others that have
used variety.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---