Re: melting crayons

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 14:55:35 PDT

khagan@optonline.net said on 8/14/01 1:50 PM :

> How about doing a lesson on encaustic?
> The students would paint with the melted wax. I've never tried it, but
> I've seen examples of it (on masks) and it looks really cool. Has anyone
> ever done it? I'd love to know how they kept the crayons melted?
> -Krista

I tape a 6-cup muffin tin onto the flat space of an electric warming tray,
and have also put cups inside an electric frying pan set on low. Be sure to
tape cords down to table, or make safe in some way.

The brushes, cups, etc. you choose to use for encaustic projects will
forever be assigned to encaustic painting, so choose wisely! They do not
clean well.

With liquid crayons, kids dip old, stiff brushes into the wax and paint on
paper or cardboard, on rocks, on wood, on anything! As they paint, the wax
dries leaving a very thick paint line.

Brushes re-melt when dipped into the liquid wax.

Preschoolers through high school can do this and enjoy it.
  ~ MaryAnn F. Kohl ~
maryann@brightring.com
http://www.brightring.com

---